Friday, April 27, 2007

A New Poll: Never Too Early To Track Mediocrity

I keep hearing talk about how bad the Washington Nationals are this season. In fact, there's a notion going around that they're so putrid, they might challenge the 2003 Tigers and 1962 Mets for ineptitude. That's appropriate, considering '03 Tigers alum Dmitri Young plays for the Nats, along with former Tiger Robert Fick.

As of today the Nationals are 7-15. It's early, but that's a 51-111 pace.

To have some fun, I decided to create a poll this season. Quite simply, "How many games will the Washington Nationals lose in 2007?" (to vote, see the red box in the sidebar)

I already cast mine: between 100-105.

Last season it looked like the Royals might threaten the '03 Tigers, but they "recovered" to lose 100. So to make things interesting, I'm going to cut the polling off by the end of May -- when they'll have played about 50 games or so, or 1/3 of the season. Then I'll dust it off at the end of the season to see how close the results matched the Nats' real record.

**********************************************
1961 Cubs Update

I know this was just bugging the hell out of you.

"I wonder how Eno's replay of the 1961 Cubs is going?"

Glad you asked.

Using my Strat-o-Matic cards, I'm replaying the 1961 Cubs, who went 64-90 in '61. (Actually, I'm playing an 84-game season -- each team twelve times).

So far? It ain't pretty. We're talking '62 Mets/'03 Tigers/'07 Nationals here.

The Cubbies, MY Cubbies, are 2-9. They lost their first two to the Milwaukee Braves, won, then dropped seven in a row before beating the Giants, 11-2.

I might fire myself before all is said and done.

But hey, don't blame me: Ernie Banks is hitting .150 and my starters can't get out of the fourth inning half the time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home